Monday, December 6, 2010

More waiting

It seems like that's all we do now.  Wait for test results, wait for different test results, and now wait AGAIN.  I don't even know what I should be feeling right now.  I want to be angry, I am frustrated, but I also just kind of feel empty.

The latest results on Mike's genetic testing have come back positive for Lynch Syndrome.  HOWEVER, the lab that ran this particular test has a history of false positives when it concerns the specific mutations Mike has, which apparently have mutated differently than the majority do in Lynch cases.  Yeah, I'm confused.  So, we wait again. This time Mayo is taking the results from this potential false positive to confirm the actual mutations.

The genetic counselor indicated today that Mike's is the most complicated case she has dealt with to date.  Lucky us.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by life in general anyway and really wanted to move on with this.  Not yet, I guess.  Sometimes it's hard to take things day by day and I really need to start focusing on hour by hour.  I know I'm on the verge of burning out, but I'm not quite sure how to take care of myself while making sure I take care of all of my other obligations.  I can't be the only person to feel like this and I try to remind myself of how much better I have it than so many other people.  I don't have room to complain.

I haven't really vented for awhile so maybe this was a good thing tonight.  For my family at least.  If I can get it out on "paper" maybe I won't be as quick to take it out on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment