Friday, December 9, 2011

Good-bye colon

What an immense relief that surgery is over and everything went perfectly!  Turned out that the surgeon did not construct a "j pouch" after all.  Apparently the way Mike's small intestine was "tethered" during his first partial colectomy prevented it.  Fortunately, the surgeon was able to keep all of the rectum and could attach the small intestine directly to it, which he feels will serve Mike better anyway.

Regardless, it will be a rough 3-6 months while his body adjusts to life without a colon.  Nothing we can't handle though.  While the threat of colon cancer gone, Mike will still have to be screened regulary for other Lynch Related cancers. However, none are anywhere near as high a risk as the 80% chance for colon cancer.  I still feel the same way I did 18 months ago when we were first told Mike had cancer.  If this was all going to happen to someone, it might as well be us.  We'll be fine.  We will get through this together.

I don't know how many times someone has told me that we have had more than our share of crappy deals over the last two years.  Sure, there are days I want nothing more than to crawl under the nearest rock and stay there for a really long time.  Sometimes it takes a conscious effort to not shut down and there are days I know I'm struggling to keep it together.  I also know, even when things are at their worst that it WILL get better.  The saying "one day at a time" just doesn't always cut it.  Sometimes it's "one hour at a time" or even "one minute at a time".  But, it does get better eventually.  I also know that someone else always has it worse than I do.  My life is blessed in so many ways and when I'm in the middle of my own pity party I have to remind myself of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment