Saturday, July 3, 2010

Remaining realistic

While staying busy has been helpful, we are also realistic about what the immediate future may hold. If, in fact, the lymph nodes are also cancerous we know there will be a long haul with chemo. Getting things in order now will hopefully make that easier later.
I have amazing friends that are organizing a list of people that have offered to help in one way or another. Hopefully we won't need to utilize the list, but it will be there if necessary. I would list names of everyone who is trying to make this as easy as possible whether by physically doing something or being emotionally supportive, but I am afraid of forgetting a name or two. You know who you are and I love you.
The other day we took the kids to the beach. As usual the kids were both climbing all over Mike like he was a human jungle gym. At one point Mike told the kids to both hang on me so that "mommy will know she can bring you both to the beach alone". A week ago that comment wouldn't have fazed me at all. But now that same comment could mean something entirely different.
It's hard to believe it has only been 8 days since Mike's colonoscopy and we got the news. A lot has changed, but even more has remained the same. My kids still feel safe and loved, the people we thought were are friends have proven it again and again with their love & support, my family is as strong - stronger - than ever. I may hate cancer, but I love the life we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment